I am currently reading...

I am currently reading...

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The secret of stillness

"I would say the ideal balance between inward and outward pursuits should be 50-50.
When I was younger, my life was tilted more outward and less inward. As I grow and mature, I find I'm leaning more toward the inward. I want my life to be geared more toward heaven. I want to lift my life, my hands, my head, and my body toward God, to spend more time alone with Him -- talking, listening, and just being. I want to experience the fragrance of His love and let that love permeate my life, to let the calmness of His spirit replenish the empty well of my heart, which becomes delpeted in the busyness and rush of the everyday demands and pressures.
Do whatever is necessary to nurture quiet moments in your life. Don't let the enemy wear you down so thin that you lose your balance and perspective. Regular time for stillness is as important and necessary as sleep, exercise, and nutritious food"
- Simple Secrets to a Beautiful Home by Emilie Barnes

I believe so fully in this statement. It is so counter-American-culture to take time just to be still and rest and think. But it is what the Lord wants us to do. He knows we need it, because He says in His word that we are to rest on the Sabbath, and also to "Be Still and Know that I am God." It's really hard in our busy lives to find this time to be still... sometimes we don't even have enough time to get a good night's sleep. But really, when I think about it, I do have the time. I just need to prioritize my time correctly.

I love creating a calm atmosphere in my home by lighting candles, putting on some soft music, getting into comfy clothes.... I love to listen to music with nature sounds in the background, because I feel like I'm out in the woods or countryside somewhere. It helps me relax and focus on the Lord, and He gives me true peace in my heart. :)

1 comment:

  1. I love this Amy...
    I ALWAYS need to me reminded of it!
    I am refeshing myself currently by doing someting I adore. Making cards :) I know you adore this also. It's so refeshing...I'm so glad to have a friend like you!!
    That sounds like a great book!
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete


Skagit Valley, Wa

Someday I'll have my own little Scotty Dog!